Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Garden Bounty

We've been totally enjoying the bounty of our garden this week. We had some of our corn. It wasn't the prettiest corn, but I think it might have been the tastiest. It wa so juicy and sweet, it's kind of amazing how good corn can be.

Plus Jai made an amazing curried carrot and leek soup, made entirely from our garden (except for the stock.) It was sooooooo good. And our carrots are so pretty!


I've been drying as many herbs as I can for some good winter teas. So far I've got raspberry leaves, peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm, orange mint, anise hyssop, bee balm, chamomile, and blackberry leaves. It should be a nice winter, sitting in the library, in front of the fire, sipping homegrown tea. I've also done a couple of batches of sundried tomatoes, which worked really well. I'd like to do another one, as we have about a million yellow plum tomatoes.
And it turns out we didn't miss the Ciderfest parade after all - they postponed it until Sunday night, so we walked down to take it all in. It was very short, but the funnest parade I've ever seen, and I'm sure the whole town was there. And we knew half the people in it, which was kind of neat.

I had kind of a lazy day today, sundrying the tomatoes and running errands this morning, and having tea all afternoon at Sarah's house. Erin came over with her brand new baby, Sunna, and we chatted and drank tea like perfect ladies. All night I have been trying to make a piece of art, as I promised a piece for a charity auction that is happening in Halifax. I'm not sure I have anything I'm happy with, but it was pretty fun to do, and I DID manage to make a pretty good mess, so that's something.
I'll leave you with a shot of our fabulous bunny, Webster, who has also been enjoying the bounties of our garden:

No comments: