Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hello!

We've been very lucky with the weather this week, considering the stories we hear coming out from our near neighbours to the East and West of us! We did have a little bit of snow, but it's mostly melted now. Only the big piles, and the really shady spots still have snow. We poked around in the yard a little, and discovered the first signs of spring, in the form of some little snowdrops just starting to peek out. All three seasons in one shot:


This week I finished the coffee tables that were a custom order for a girl down in the States. I'm very happy with how they came out, and it was a good experience to get them shipped out. We drove down to Kentville and shipped them off this morning.

Also, Jai made me a rolling pin for rolling out slabs of clay, so I made a little creamer, just for fun. Sadly, I have nowhere to fire it, so it will probably never get finished. Still, it was fun to make. I just have a small amount of clay that our friend Phillip gave me, so next time we're in Halifax I think I might buy a bag, just to play with. Eventually, I can just melt it all back into wet clay and start again, at least until I can get Jai's Mom's kiln out from Ontario. We haven't figured out how that's going to happen yet.
This rolling pin is pretty rough, as I just needed something quick and dirty, but I actually really like it, and I'm hoping Jai will make more so we can sell them. It's a good prototype.

At work, Stephen has got his CNC set up now. He cut out the parts for a desk on it earlier this week, and we spent the morning coming up with all sorts of ideas for ready-to-assemble furniture that doesn't require screws or glue. It's all very exciting.

Hmmm...what else? I made home-made granola bars last week, and they turned out perfectly. I got the recipe on allrecipes.com, which, if you haven't heard of it, is a mouth-watering way to spend an afternoon of internet browsing. Tonight we're having home-made chili, but we stopped at the meat market in Berwick on the way home from shipping the tables, so we are using locally bred, raised and butchered beef, which is kind of nice.

We stopped at the beach earlier in the week to look for some good rocks for a set of custom bookmarks I am making for a girl.

Coming over the mountain, I was finally able to photograph this frozen waterfall, which has been intriguing me on my drive to work in the morning. I think it's the combination of cold weather and super sunny days that produces something like this, but it sure is pretty.

Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.
~Doug Larson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi guys! You've been busy - great pictures, pitchers and prototypes! Talk to you soon! XOXO Mom/Joc

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Thanks Mom! Talk to you soon :)

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I'm an artist/bookbinder/soaper from the South Shore of NS (Liverpool) - not far from you folks. I've got a sister in Halls Habour.

I just had to drop by your blog after discovering your Etsy shop lovelies. I'm enamored by your work, (esp. that commissioned coffee table pictured here).

Anyhow, just thought I'd say hi, and let you know how much I enjoy your work and your blog.

cheerio,
Beverly
lapaperie.etsy.com
lapaperie.wordpress.com