Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bookmobile!

Hello Again! Well, it has become time to admit that our Mac needs more help than we can give it. We need to take it in to the Mac dealer in the area and have it looked at, but the store is about 45 mintues away from where we live, and the roads have been quite bad this weekend. We have had many days of weather with the temperature hovering around -20, and steady snowfall. Apparently it is too cold for them to use salt on the roads, so they have just been sanding for the last four or five days, and everything is white, white, white. It's very pretty, but more so if you don't HAVE to venture out. When you're actually out in it, it can be difficult to appreciate how pretty it is because you can barely keep your eyes open. Much nicer from inside, beside the wood stove! Anyway, what this rambling all boils down to is that I am writing this on our laptop, and therefore will have no pictures to share this post.


I feel like all I did this week was work, but that's not quite true. We had a night of visiting with friends, and then a night of celebrating with friends, as Jai managed to accomplish something quite incredible this week. He got a fabulous new job as the Bookmobile Driver! Starting tomorrow, Jai will be working at the Annapolis Valley Library HQ, here in Bridgetown.




That's a picture off the web-site. It's a full-time, steady job with full benefits and a pension plan. One of the very few jobs in the area to offer all of the above. Plus, driving around to schools, pre-schools, tiny communities, and senior's homes, and then hanging out while people browse for books. Only two weeks ago we were walking up to the library HQ, talking about how that would be the coolest job in the world, when lo and behold, it was advertised just days later. And then, my own wonderful husband managed to beat out 20 other applicants to get it. Needless to say, I am very proud and excited for him (and just a wee bit jealous:))

Other than that, we don't have a lot of news. We did make it up to see the OBGYN this week, and he seems nice, but didn't tell us anything new. Pretty soon, I will have to take a picture of myself, as people are starting to feel like it's safe to comment on the size of my belly, which means to me that I must be very obviously pregnant now. I have to say, I find it a little strange that people don't think twice about commenting on my body. I'm sure I'm not the first pregnant lady to feel that way, but I do find it strange that people I hardly know are comfortable discussing how big I'm looking, right to my face. Oh well, I guess I've got a couple of months to get used to it, still. Which is good, because there's still a million things that need to get done around the house.
I have to admit, I find it much harder to get things done during the winter. I always think I'll get a lot done, because there's no gardening to do, and there's the occasional bonus snow day thrown in there. The reality is, though, that I don't like to work after it gets dark, and I don't like to work in the freezing cold, and I just never seem to have as much time as I think I will. I rest a lot more, despite my best intentions. I think, maybe, the winter will require me to plan better. There is no popping out into the woodshop for an hour or two, here and there, because it takes several hours to get the shop up to a bearable temperature. There is no nipping out to the store, or the paper cutter, as it requires a big dressing-up procedure, and then battling through the snow to get there. It is much easier to put things off. So I am going to have to make up some sort of plan, I think, if I want to get anything done. Luckily, I enjoy making lists :)

And, having said all that, I do believe I would miss the winter if we moved back to somewhere that didn't have it. It really is pretty, and the snow really does make everything brighter and cleaner looking. I'm very much looking forward to when it starts to warm up a little (say up to around 0 degrees) and the sun comes back out. And those first little snowdrops peaking up through the snow truly are a sight to behold. I was dreaming last night about eating peaches right off our tree...

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Bookmobile driver? That is seriously the BEST job ever. I worked in the children's department at a library one summer, and was envious of the bookmobile man. Congrats to Jai! Oh, and I was dreaming about just heading out the door for a walk in sandals, without having to even put on a coat. It was heavenly. :)

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Thanks Sherrie! I think so too :) And sandals... yeah, I'm definitely with you on that one, especially since it's getting harder and harder to do up my winter boots!
P.S. I love the idea of your comfort week, and would totally participate if I thought I could be organized enough to write every day. I will try and get in at least one of the days, though, just to participate a little :)

Our Family said...

Sweet. That sounds like a wicked job, congrats Jai. I hear you on the comments Lauren, just wait until people you barely know ask (or don't ask) to touch your belly. :) Oh, and Opa says hi and thanks for the card!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jai on the new job - it is one week in already, how are things going. Will call you soon to chat. Yes, Lauren, do take some pictures; haven't seen you in forever so a picture of both of you would be great. I know how you feel about the forever below 0 temps, just waiting for spring. Dad just came home from snowmobiling on the Lake (Simcoe) so he is probably freezing. Talk to you soon.
Mom. XOXO

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Hey Guys, thanks for the comments! I'll try and post an update (with photos, if possible!) tomorrow. We had a super busy day here, and tomorrow looks the same, but it would be nice to have an excuse to sit down for a little while :)