Thursday, July 02, 2009

Happy (Belated) Canada Day!


Happy (Belated) Canada Day!  We had our third annual Canada Day bash yesterday, and it was the biggest one yet.  My arms were pretty full of baby most of the night, though, so I didn't get any pictures.  Anyway, it was great fun, and it was especially nice to see Griffin enjoying having so many people around.  He especially liked getting kisses and licks (!!!) from a couple of young girls - what fun!
It rained (of course.)  (I think it's rained every day here for the past 2-1/2 weeks, and the forecast for the next five days is all about rain.) So it was a good test for our house, and I'm proud to say it passed.  And so did the rain, just in time for the fireworks - hooray.  

Our boy is growing fast - already topping out the scale at 13 lbs, and only 8 weeks old.  At this rate in another couple of weeks he'll be double his birth weight.  He's definitely interested in what's happening all around him now, which is fun to see.  And those smiles. . . all is right with the World when a little baby smiles at you.


I had my follow-up check-up with the obstetrician today, and everything is a-ok, so Griffin and I took our first (of no doubt many) trips to Frenchy's today.  I had him strapped to my chest in the BabyBjorn (Frenchy's - $2) so I couldn't try on any clothes, but I did pick up a pair of shorts and some skirts for myself (even with the rain the temperatures and humidity levels have been unbearable) and some pants for Griffin.  I also got him an adorable page boy hat that matches
one that Jai owns.  Pictures will be forthcoming.
On the way home I picked up a flat of strawberries and some freezer bags.  Hopefully there will be time tomorrow to store some of this summer fun until it's needed in those cold winter months.  Our firewood is already sitting in the driveway.  Strawberries and firewood - I'm all set.  
Look, my foxgloves came up for the first time:

The plants are certainly loving all the rain.

And Griffin and I even found time for a little embroidery.  It took me strapping him on and bouncing for an hour, but it was worth it.  I find myself doing the "baby bounce" all the time now - whether holding Griffin or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello - Happy Canada Day to all of you! Sorry we missed the party - next year I'll plan my time off better so we can overnight it - your event is becoming a MUST DO. We couldn't see the fireworks from our back deck this year - too much building up across the lake I guess. Griffin, we've been bragging to everyone how you are the most fantastic, beautiful, phenomenal baby in the world (love the chubby thighs) ...we look forward to seeing all of you soon! XOXOXO Mom/Joc/Grandma and gang
PS love the embroidery and are the pink flowers hydrangea? How did they get that big so quickly???? ours are still in tight bud formation. Love you!

Sherrie said...

Happy Canada Day! Your flowers look great, and I laughed about your Frenchy's trip - that's the first place Phillip and I went after he was born. :) I can't wait to see the hat!