Sunday, January 02, 2011

Connections

2011! So far, so good!

Only a few more days now of Jai's holiday. It's been so wonderful having him home - Griffin loves it, and I do, too. But, alas, such a state of affairs cannot continue indefinitely. All good things, and such stuff.

We are trying to enjoy these last couple of days to the utmost, though :)

And later this week, Griffin and Grandma and I are hopping on a plane for an epic journey across the country, from coast to coast, and back again. My Grandparents treated us to plane tickets, so we can come out and visit all our friends and relations on the West Coast. Well, as many as we can manage, anyway! (There are a lot of them over there!) I'm excited about showing him some of the places that I loved (and, really, still do.) It's mostly bookstores and museums, so I guess that explains a lot about me!

Plus the place where our little family began - good old Yo Video. I've been thinking a lot about personal mythologies as they relate to place. I think it's important to feel connections to places and people, not just through the direct experience of meeting a particular person, or being in a place at a particular time, but also through the layered experience of having stories and histories surrounding that person or location. Because many of my personal histories remain on the West Coast, by extension, many of Griffin's personal mythologies will have connections to the West Coast as well.

It will be interesting, though, to see how time has changed things, because the people and places remain static in my memory, as though they've become mythologized - passed into story, if you will. There is so much I want to see and do in such a short period of time! Creating new stories to layer on top of the old.

Huh, I didn't sit down to write all this stuff down (I mean, really, who actually uses the word mythologized?!) but there it is, all the same. These are the kinds of things I think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip home! And I love your idea of personal mythologies. I'm going to think on that some more. Say hello to our old haunts please! x rachel

Chris said...

I think that's one of the most beautiful descriptions of how one connects to places that I've ever read! Hope you had a good time in Victoria.