Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Getting Ready for Baby...


Hello! I had a minute while Jai has the day off, and is out taking Griffin for a walk, so I thought I would come over here and spend it on the blog. These photos aren't new, but I do only have a minute, and I do hate to post a blog with no photos on it! Things are going well here. We spent the weekend in Halifax again - this time so we could attend a Baby shower the family put on. We only really need a couple of things, so when Mom asked what we wanted, I thought it would be a good idea to ask people to just bring a dish of food that we could stick in the freezer. And I'm so glad I did! Our freezer now has a nice supply of home-made dishes just waiting for Baby Soloy to arrive. Thanks everyone! And thanks for the gifts, too - it's nice for baby to have some new things of his/her own.
It's only another 3 or 4 weeks now, although that's only if everything sticks to schedule. We're getting closer to ready. I know I'm starting to feel ready, especially at night - not that that will improve for a while, even after the baby arrives! At least the sleep I do get should be a little more comfortable.

We think Griffin is kind of as ready as he can be. He's accepted that the baby will be living in the house with us, although he likes to think it will be "mostly upstairs." I'm not sure what he thinks the baby will be doing while we're downstairs! There's still quite a bit of work to do to get the house ready - things like setting up the crib, and figuring out where the clothes are going to go. Luckily we have a few more months before we need to worry too much about babyproofing! Griffin kind of spoiled us in that regard, never being much of a climber. Will we be lucky enough to have two like that? Who knows.
I'm definitely getting into "pregnancy brain" - losing track of thoughts and feeling a little fuzzy sometimes (apologies if this post is a little rambly and nonsensical.) And I'm feeling hungry almost all the time now (kind of bad timing with all the Halloween candy lying around the house - oops! Good thing I have Griffin around to keep me honest.)
Other than that, life is continuing on much like normal. We try and get out of the house to do something every day - which has been made much easier by some unusually warm October weather. The leaves have finally started to turn, and everything is looking so nice and Autumnal. I had my first breath of air that smelled like rotting leaves the other day - there's just something about that smell - so earthy and clean at the same time - that makes me smile every time. We've had a few fires going in the stove now, and it's still early enough that they really do make the whole house almost unbearably warm. Yesterday I sat in front of the woodstove with my book while Griffin napped, and thoroughly enjoyed feeling like I was melting, knowing that I will miss that feeling when we're in the depth of winter and there seems to be a perpetual chill in the air. I have to admit, though, there is a part of me that is looking forward to hunkering down for winter. If only we could spend it hibernating like dormice!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello! hope the play dough arrived today! love the pictures - wee giraffe is a good friend (I understand why the other one had to go!). XO us

Anonymous said...

Playdoh?? Oh what fun! My grade one students loved it when I put a package of kool-aid in the batch! Great for learning to spell names/new words/make numbers. Smells yummy and you can have a fun time making new colours with added food colour. Have fun with your new play doh.

Mr. Giraffe is such an inquisitive friend.. aJP

lola said...

wow, it seems the week slipped away from me. My mom is here right now. I'll call you soon...

Marissa said...

Hi! I have been keeping my eye open for other bloggers in the area and you are the second whom I have discovered and seen a comment from Lola! I think that she has talked about you too:)...so nice to 'meet' you!